80,000 musicians comprise the American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada (AFM). We perform in orchestras, bands, clubs and theaters—both on Broadway and on tour. AFM members also make music for films, television, radio, commercials, and sound recordings. As the largest union of musicians in the world, we have the power to make the music industry work for musicians.
Musicians’ ability to make a living is threatened as never before. Corporate profits continue growing while technological advances transform our work and how we are compensated. But by joining with 80,000 musicians—you are not alone.
We have built strength allowing us to negotiate strong contacts, good wages, decent working conditions, healthcare and a secure retirement. Many of us standing together is more powerful than any of us standing alone.
Houston Jazz Orchestra - premiere big band comprised exclusively of union musicians
Benefits of Memberships
- Certainty of fair wages and working conditions
- Ability to vote and contribute to wage scales/bylaws
- AFM-EPF Pension
- Space City Credit Union
- Instrument and other loans at low interest rates
- Contract Assistance
- Help with filing appropriate forms for gigs, digital media, recording, pension, etc.
- Residual payments
- Music Performance Trust Fund (MPTF)
- Union Plus
- AT&T 15% discount off wireless bill
- Scholarship opportunities
- Free college programs
- Free use of rehearsal hall
- Discount on student memberships
- Networking opportunities with local contractors and professional musicians
- Life Insurance Policy
- AFM Insurance Policies
- Business Liability
- Instrument & Equipment
Apollo Chamber Players - award winning string quartet featuring Local 65-699 musicians
Member Financial Assistance
- Contract Guaranty Fund - guarantees prompt payment of scale wages and legal support if an employer tries to default on a signed union contract
- Tim Harris Fund - personal hardship or natural disasters.
- The Peck Kelly Fund - membership dues assistance